A Quarterly Newsletter for the Descendants of the Couts Family #29 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ IN MEMORIUM The California Couts Family has lost one of its dear brothers, Donald Lee Couts, 71, to Leukemia. He passed June 18, 2003. Don was a retired mechanic, who carried on the family vocation with skills, knowledge, and expertise. He was husband to Carol, Father of Linda and Curtis Couts, Stepfather to Robert, Grandfather to Jessica Lyons, Alexis Lyons, Olivia Lyons Courtney Couts, and Kolbi Couts. He was son of Roy and Ruby (Childers) Couts and beloved Brother of Clarence "Bo", Steve, Tom, and Barbara (Evans) Couts He was loved and he will be missed ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ EMAILS Subject: Koutz From: Hi, I am trying to find info on a Barbara Koutz/Coutz that married Daniel Smith in PA probably Greene/Washington Co.'s Last name can be spelled several ways. Linked families are Morgan, Durney, Burson and Manchey/Menche/Manche etc. Can you help? I've hit a brick wall. Thanks, Linda Subject: Googling on Koutzes....From: Norma J. Koutz Wallace e-mail: Barbara - I was doing a Google search on my maiden name. My oldest brother has started getting interested in genealogy, and with a name like KOUTZ, it's pretty easy to narrow the search. I came across your website, along with other connections of Koutzes and related names. We had no idea there were that many Koutzes out there! Would love to hear from you, and find out more about your group. Norma Koutz Wallace Subject: Guajome From: Marcy Barr Dear Barb, Did you know there will be a fandango at Guajome to celebrate the 150th anniversary? It will be held August 2, at least that is the present plan. Jennifer is the new ranger there and has the details. I have not talked to her but understand this is the plan. Of course, we will be there whatever the date. Also will have Tony Forster, distant grandson of Juan Forster attending. Marcy Barr - Ysidora Bandini Couts Marcy, Barb's Reply I'm going to try and make it. You'll be great!! Subject: RE: Tetrick Kutch From: Hello, I just found your web site and for the last 2 hours, I have thoroughly enjoyed it... My name is Donna Jane Koontz-Young. I have only in the last year begun to gather my family ancestry. I have traced back to Detrick/Tetrick Kutch, who married Susanna Prussia (found this info in family records and on In your pages, I found reference to Susanna of Prussia, married to Tetrick Kautz. I tried tracing the last name "Prussia" and have made up my mind that there is no such last name who emigrated from Prussia. My family is Tilford Kutch, son of John Kutch, son of Tetrick/Detrick Kutch who was married to Susanna Prussia. Can you verify that Susanna of Prussia is the same as my Susanna Prussia? I show her being born "about" 1745 in Prussia, and dying "about" 1834 in Mercer Co., Ky. ANY assistance will help me tremendously. Please email me at: Thank you....Donna Koontz-Young Barb's Reply: Hi, I am trying desperately to connect my Detrick to the KUTCH line. I will pass you info on to the Kutch experts, so they can contact you...I think Detrick of Mercer was son or our Detrick who came to America-PA-in 1750-then, on to VA. ...timing, place, and names are good, but there is no further contact between Detrick and his sons John and Chrisley, as far as I can tell. There was a KUTCH family that came from PA to KY 1760's..But there is nnnooooo proof… Subject: Re: Tetrick Kutch From: Hi! Thank you so very, very much. this is just driving me "Nuts"...I appreciate your quick response...Donna Subject: Re: Tetrick Kutch From: Hi, again, Barb.. Just a quick thought...I have a very old description of the Kutch family and how they came to be in Indiana, their perils on the trail, etc. In this "document", it starts out that Tilford/Tetrick Kutch was born "about 1750" states that he was in the Revolutionary War. It states that "Anna" came to America on board a "bride ship".. And they met and married...I've generally discounted all of this because I could not make the dates and times agree with the records I've found. It also states that Tilford/Detrick/Tetrick had a friend named Adolph Cane, also a soldier, who married a Phoebe King. .Also a "bride" of this same ship... all this sorta fits because John Kutch, son of Detrick/Tilford had a son named John Cane Kutch, born 15 MAY 1831..I can't find any reference to why he would have such a middle name, were it not true that somewhere along the way some one named " Cane" came into the picture. But the dates are all wrong... If you haven't seen this or would like to, let me know...maybe some of the pieces will fit in your line. Just a wild goose chase probably, but who knows...??? Donna Subject: RE: Kutch history From: Hi, Barb... As per your request here is the history that I found at my dad's. He died in 1997 and I'm just starting to put all this together. I added the list of children of Paris Jones and Luella (Kutch) Jones at the bottom. I typed this history, as the original is hand written and in very bad condition. A lot of this is controversial. Let me know if you find major corrections.. Hope it's entertaining, if nothing else... Thanks..Donna ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ THE KUTCH FAMILY (Copied from typed document discovered at the Koontz residence, in Heidelberg, Miss., October, 2002. Copied verbatim, by Donna Koontz-Young, daughter of deceased, Olin Maxwell Koontz, and Mary Ovada Leggett Koontz) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ TILFORD KUTCH was born about 1750, exact date not known. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. A Prussian trans-ocean shipping company provided passage for a number of women from Prussia in the early 1780's, and hoped to collect the price for passage from the prospective bridegrooms waiting in Virginia. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ TILFORD KUTCH, and his soldier friend, ADOLPH CANE, each met and married one of these imported girls. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ PHOEBE KING married AOLPH CANE, in 1784. TILFORD KUTCH married ANNA PRUSSIA the same year. The two couples lived near each other and began to labor for individual existence, their main living was from wild game, nuts and fruit in the forests, and fish from the many streams. On November 3, 1786, a son was born to TILFORD and ANNA KUTCH in Virginia. JOHN KUTCH, son of TILFORD and ANNA, was quite small when his parents both died, probably of Typhoid Fever, which was common in the country at that time. ADOLPH CANE assumed the responsibility of caring for the orphan child, JOHN. In the late 1700's, ADOLPH CANE and his wife PHOBE, together with their three children and young JOHN KUTCH, moved to NW North Carolina. It was here that JOHN KUTCH and ELIZABETH CANE were married in 1804. ELIZABETH CANE was the oldest child of ADOLPH and PHOEBE CANE. Here JOHN and ELIZABETH had three children. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ TILFORD KUTCH (b) 1806 EWING KUTCH (b) 10 JUNE 1808 CAROLINE M. KUTCH (b) 1809 (d) 12 JAN 1881 Stories then went by mouth, as there were no mail, newspapers, telephones, telegraph or radios. They were told that Indiana Territory of the Northwest was opened for settlement. They decided at once to go to Indiana and began preparing for the journey. Their method of travel consisted of a homemade, two-wheeled cart drawn by a young milk cow and a three-year-old bull. They packed their clothing, a few household necessities, tools, such as ax, plow, augur, hoe, drawing knife and a variety of seeds. They also took a supply of food, dried pumpkin, jug of sorghum, salt, bacon, cornmeal and a gun to kill game. In the summer of 1811, they traveled thru unbroken forest, over Indian Trails, some 500 miles. They were three months on the road. They came over the Appalachian Mountains, thru the pass by the "Lone Pine". The Ohio River was crossed at Louisville. They decided to tarry awhile in Washington Co., near Salem, Indiana, which was a small settlement. They remained there nearly four years. Here two more children were born. NELSON KUTCH (b) 1812 ALFORD KUCTCH (b) 2 DEC 1814 (d) 2 JULY 1896 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ In 1815 the KUTCH family traveled to Monroe County, Indiana, and in 1816, TILFORD entered land in Clear Creek Township. Here they lived and raised their family of nine children and the last four were born here. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ORPHA JANE KUTCH (b) 1817 (d) 1890 JANE KUTCH (b) 1819 FINDLEY KUTCH (b) 27 DEC 1823 (d) 27 NOV 1857 JOHN CANE KUTCH (b) 15 MAY 1831 (d) 17 JULY 1861 TILFORD KUTCH was married 28 OCT 1847, to AMANDA MILLER, a step-daughter of JAMES WRIGHT by his second marriage. He went west to seek cold in 1849. He was never heard from again. LUELLA KUTCH, daughter of TILFORD and AMANDA, was born 16 JULY 1857, died 15 MAR 1892. LUELLA married PARIS CLAY JONES, 26 SEPT 1876. PARIS and LUELLA lived 8 miles south of Bloomington, Indiana, in the South Union neighborhood. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ** END OF DOCUMENT** ORIGINAL DOCUMENT FILED IN RECORDS OF TRANSCRIBER DOCUMENT RE-TYPED BY DONNA J. KOONTZ-YOUNG, TRANSCRIBER FEBRUARY 21, 2003, BILOXI, MS. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ LISTED BELOW ARE THE CHILDREN OF PARIS AND LUELLA (KUTCH) JONES: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ RAYMOND O. JONES (b) 24 DEC 1877 (d) JULY 1877 RAYMOND died at 7 mos. of age. Hand written family notes state name spelled RAIMANN LUNA JONES (b) 5 MAY 1879 (d) MAR 1943 LUNA married CROHN THRASHER Children of LUNA and CROHN TRASHER:: WILMA THRASHER died at birth RUSSELL THRASHER died at when 6 years old RALPH THRASHER died when 3 years old DORWELL THRASHER (b) 1903 ** DORWELL married GLEN R. HENDERSON, Mayor of Connersville, IN. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ CARRIE MARGARET JONES (b) 24 APRIL 1881 CARRIE married (1st) WALTER CLAYTON Children of CARRIE and WALTER CLAYTON: MARGARET CLAYTON CARRIE married (2nd) BERT OBERLE Children of CARRIE and BERT OBERLE: None ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ MARY ALICE JONES (b) 5 MAY 1882 (d) OCT 1916 MARY ALICE (Mayree) married JAMES HARDY Children of MARY ALICE and JAMES HARDY: LLOYD HARDY (b) OLIN HARDY (b) 2 OCT 1916 OLIN'S mother, MARY ALICE (JONES) HARDY died when he was only 2 weeks old. OLIN was adopted by his Aunt ZULA (JONES) BRYANT and Uncle DAYTON BRYANT. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ OLIVE BELVA JONES (b) 17 OCT 1883 OLIVE married: ( ) Unmarried Children of OLIVE BELVA JONES and UNKNOWN: LEONARD PARIS JONES (b) 19 NOV 1899 OLIVE married (1st) FRED LESLIE KOONTZ Children of OLIVE and FRED LESLIE KOONTZ: OLIN MAXWELL KOONTZ (b) 30 MAY 1913 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ OLIVE married (2nd) GEORGE EDGAR FIELDER Children of OLIVE and GEORGE EDGAR FIELDER CHANCEY WEIR FIELDER (b) 19 SEPT 1925 (d) 1 NOV 1944 ~ Italy ~ WWII ELIZABETH PEARLE JONES (b) 27 AUG 1886 PEARLE married OLIN A. ROGERS Children of PEARLE and OLIN A. ROGERS: None ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ JOHN RUSSELL JONES (b) 31 DEC 1888 ZULA L. JONES (b) 26 MAY 1891 ZULA married DAYTON C. "Rich" BRYANT ~ Children of ZULA and DAYTON C. BRYANT None ZULA (JONES) BRYANT and D.C. BRYANT adopted OLIN HARDY, son of MARY ALICE and JAMES HARDY. SOURCES: Koontz Family Bible owned by Donna Koontz-Young South Union Cemetery Records - Monroe Co., IN Koontz Cemetery Records - Monroe Co., In. Family photo albums owned by Donna Koontz-Young ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Subject: Re: Detrick Kutch From: genealau I have Atkinsons and probably Walkers ( if I only knew Walker's first name)in Christian/Mercer/Todd Cos., KY in the same time frame. I haven't had a chance to check those Cos. for early Birds. Atkinson md Walker in Christian Co., Walker md Bird in Colorado. Bird b MO then migrated to CO. Found Walker in Dade/Lawrence Co., MO 1880 census as a widow. There is a Couts in Boone Co., MO 1820 with a John and Jesse Bird/Byrd. I think it was Aaron Couts. Know anything about any connection with Birds and Couts there? Deitrich/Detrich is too unusual not to be related somehow.........................Launa Subject: Detrick Kuitch From: genealau Been in UT and will be leaving again to visit a friend. Back June 10th. Chat with you then. Launa CASEY COUNTY KY - TAX LIST 1807 Daniel Cooch -1 male over 21, 1 horse Detrick Cooch -200 acres on North Rolling Fork (in the name of George Harlin) 1808 Detrick Koutch -230 A. N. Rolling Fk. (in the name of George Harlin) John Koutch -1 male over 21, 2 horses 1809 Detrick Kutch - 230 A. N. Rolling Fk. (in the name of George Harlin) John Kutch - 1 male over 21, 2 horses 1810 John Kutch - 1 male over 21, 3 horses Dedrick Kutch - 200 acres 1811 Dedrick Kutch- 230 acres Rolling Fork (in the name of George Harlin) John Kutch - 1 male over 21, 4 horses 1812 Detrick Couch - 230 acres Rolling Fork (in the name of George Harlin) John Couch - 1 male over 21, 3 horses 1813 Detrick Kutch - 230 acres Rolling Fork (in the name of George Harlin) John Kutch - 1 male over 21, 3 horses (both men in Capt. Lobb's Militia Co.) 1814 Detrick Kutch - 230 acres Rolling Fork (in the name of George Harlin) 1815 Detrick Kooch - 230 acres Rolling Fork 1816 Detrick Kooch - 230 acres Rolling Fork (in the name of George Harlin) 1817 Dedrick Cooch - 230 acres Rolling Fork (in the name of George Harlin) Can't Pass up a Jacob...... 1 Jacob KOONTZ b: 12 FEB 1817 d: 21 SEP 1885 + Rebecca RAY b: 13 MAY 1817 d: 8 JUN 1860 2 Malinda KOONTZ b: 31 MAR 1865 d: 25 SEP 1925 + David DICKSON b: 10 JAN 1847 d: 25 SEP 1919 3 Roy Emily DICKSON 3 Charles Monroe DICKSON 3 Wiley Edward DICKSON + Minnie YOUNG 3 William Oscar DICKSON b: ABT 1896 + Bessie Lee BLEVINS b: 19 MAY 1896 d: 18 DEC 1935 3 Claude Franklin DICKSON 3 Nora Cornette DICKSON + Enoch YOUNG 3 Walter Winfield DICKSON + Maude JOHES + Lorene PERKINS 3 Robert Lee DICKSON + Betty BROWN + Paulette BARTHOLEMEW 3 Lena Cynthia DICKSON + James Floyd JONES ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ COUTS/KOUTS/KAUTZ IN THE CIVIL WAR Submitted By Jack Childers, AKA INJack Jack Childers is a dear friend, who researches in our other family line, the Childers Family. His specialty is Civil War re-enactment, research, history, and his missing Childers. Very innocently, I asked if there were any Couts/Kouts/Kautz who fought in the Civil War. Well, Jack gave us enough information for several newsletters! This article is the third installment. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Couts, Franklin W. Co. H Privat yo.-18 enlisted-Aug. 8, 18623 yrs. Transferred to Veteran Reserve Corps* Sept. 1, 1863. * Veteran Reserve Corps --- Was a Corps that they transferred men to that where not fit for front line duty due to illness. wounds, etc. but yet still fit to be guards and such at "behind the lies" depots, supply dumps, RR bridges etc.\ regimental flag History of the 93rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry -1862- The 93rd Ohio was organized during the months of July and August, 1862, at Camp Dayton, near Dayton, Ohio. It left the rendezvous for Lexington, Kentucky, on the evening of August 23, 1862, numbering 39 officers and also 929 men. Under command of General Gilbert, the regiment retreated from Lexington to Louisville, where it was assigned to Ward's brigade, of Jackson's division, and remained in camp until September, 1862. Upon leaving it was assigned to the Fifth Brigade of McCook's division, and upon arriving in Frankfort, Kentucky, it was re-assigned to the Third Brigade, Second Division of McCook's command. The 93rd moved with the army to Nashville, and in December, while on duty guarding a forage-train, was attacked by the Rebels, and in this, its first engagement, it lost one man killed and three wounded [Note: reference to Lebanon, TN - Antioch Church]. At the battle of Stone River it was in Baldwin's brigade, of Johnson's division, and suffered severely, on December 31. -1863- After this battle it encamped on the banks of Stone River, south of Murfreesboro, until March, 1863, when it moved to Camp Drake west of Murfreesboro. On June 23, 1863, McCook's corps broke camp and marched for Liberty Gap. After a slight engagement at that place, it moved to Hoover's Gap, and there joining the remainder of the army under Rosencrans, it moved on to Tuliahoma, arriving July 2, 1863. The regiment remained in camp until August 17, when, with Johnson's division, it moved to Bellefonte, Alabama, and about the last of August moved from Bellefonte to Stevenson. It crossed Lookout Mountain and bivouacked in a valley about forty miles below Chattanooga. It re-crossed the mountain, and again on September 14 it marched to the top and along the ridge, leaving it on September 17 at McLemore's Cove. On September 18, the 93rd was placed on picket on the extreme right of the battle line at Chickamauga, ["visit_to_chickamauga.htm"] and was engaged in severe skirmishing. On the morning of September 19 orders were received to join General Thomas, and after marching 9 miles, from the extreme right to the extreme left, the last 2 miles at a double-quick, the regiment went into action at 12:30 p.m. About 2 p.m., in the afternoon the 93rd, led by Colonel Baldwin, the brigade commander, charged a Rebel battery, killed all the horses, and captured the guns and the men. The brigade was engaged until 8 p.m. or 9 p.m., when, by superior numbers, it was compelled to retire 200 or 300 yards, where it bivouacked for the night. During the engagement on Saturday the regiment lost 124 officers and men killed, wounded, and prisoners. Early on Sunday morning the regiment commenced building breastworks (having only two axes, without picks or shovels), and by the time the Rebels advanced to attack it was protected by a very good barricade of logs, rails, and brush. The first Rebel attack lasted one and a half hours, during which time the amount of ammunition expended by the 93rd averaged 100 rounds to the man. From that time until midnight, there was continual skirmishing, during which private Kinsey, of Co. H, killed Colonel Richmond, Inspector General of General Polk's staff, and obtained his sword and a valuable map of Ringold, and the adjoining country. Again, about midnight, the Rebels charged and were repulsed handsomely after an engagement of an hour. The skirmishers were at once thrown out, and reported 300 killed and wounded lying in front of the works of the 93rd. At each charge the Rebels came within 125 yards of the breastworks. About 4 p.m. the Rebels charged again, and while still fighting, the regiment was ordered to fall back. Not expecting to abandon the field, it fell back about 75 yards and formed in the second line of works, when orders were received to retreat on the double-quick. It fell back to Ringold Sunday night, and at midnight of Monday the 21st, continued the retreat to Chattanooga. The regiment with its brigade was deployed as skirmishers along the north bank of the Chattanooga Creek, extending from the Nashville Railroad around for about 2 miles. It remained there for 4 days, and in continual skirmishing with the Rebels lost 6 or 8 men. Strong and substantial breastworks were built, which were afterward used as the advanced picket line. During the first part of October, the 93rd was assigned to the Second Brigade (Hazen's), Third Division (Wood's), Fourth Army Corps. on October 25, Hazen's brigade floated down the Tennessee on pontoons, and effected a landing at Brown's Ferry. This movement relieved the want of supplies at Chattanooga, and prevented the evacuation of the place. After remaining a few days at Brown's Ferry, the regiment returned to its camp at Chattanooga. About noon on November 23, orders were received for the regiment to move out of camp as if going on brigade drill, taking nothing but arms, accouterments, and canteens. Instead, of going on drill, it moved into line of battle, and was consolidated with the 41st Ohio. This battalion was then advanced beyond the rest of the line, and in the charge upon Orchard Hill suffered severely. The time occupied in making the charge was not more than 5 or 6 minutes, during which time the 93rd lost 11 killed and 49 wounded. Six men were shot down while carrying the regimental colors; among them was Major William Birch who was commanding the regiment. On November 25, the regiment was in the assault on Missionary Ridge, and sustained the loss of 8 killed and 20 wounded. On November 28, 1863, the 93rd started for East Tennessee. The campaign of the winter of 1863-64 was very severe, and one time the regiment was reduced to 4 officers and 90 men. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ -1864- On January 16, 1864, 7 officers and about 80 men, who had been left in Chattanooga unable to march, joined the regiment at Strawberry Plains, making the effective force about 170 men. On the night on the 16th, the 93rd and the 1st Ohio were detailed for picket, and were posted about 2.5 miles north of Dandridge. On the 17th about noon, the Rebels attacked the line, but they were held in check until dark, when the line was withdrawn. In this skirmish, the 93rd lost 1 killed, 4 wounded, and 3 captured. The regiment with the army moved to Strawberry Plains and from there to Knoxville, and after remaining a short time the regiment, with a portion of the brigade, was stationed at Lenoir's, and was ordered to build winter-quarters. After remaining about 3 weeks the regiment again moved to Knoxville, and so it continued during the whole campaign, marching and counter-marching. For about a month it bivouacked at Blair's Cross Roads, making occasional trips to Rutledge. On April 3, it arrived in Cleveland and went into camp at McDonald's Station, 6 miles south of Cleveland, and for a month was busily in preparation for a new campaign. On May 3, the regiment broke camp and started on the Atlanta campaign, with an aggregate of 300 men. It marched to Rossville and thence to Buzzard's Roost, where, on the morning of the 8th, a feint was made upon the Rebel works, in which the regiment lost 4 men wounded. On the evening of the 9th, it withdrew to the rear, having lost that day 5 men wounded. The Rebels evacuated their works on the night of the 12th, and on the 13th the regiment was again on the march. About 10 a.m. on the 15th, heavy skirmishing was heard on the front. The 93rd and 124th Ohio were in one battalion, under command of Colonel Payne, and were formed in double columns closed in mass. After marching in this manner for about 2 miles, the battalion was deployed as skirmishers, and relieved the skirmishers of the 23rd Corps. The position which was occupied was found to be untenable, as the Rebels were in force on a hill about 300 yards in front. The order to charge was given, and the Rebels were driven from the hill. A fine position was gained, but as the remainder of the line was exposed to heavy fire of shell and grape from a battery on its right. After fighting for nearly 2 hours, and when almost all the ammunition was expended, it was relieved by a battalion commanded by Colonel Berry. The loss of the 93rd in this battle of Resaca was 4 killed and 21 wounded. On the morning of May 17 the regiment entered Resaca, and advanced to Adairsville. During the day of the march to Adairsville, the brigade of which the 93rd was a part, was in advance of the column upon the railroad, and about every 3 miles the Rebels would make some resistance, thus compelling the brigade to form in line of battle. At 5 p.m., the Rebels made a stand at a small creek, about half a mile north of Adairsville. Skirmishers were thrown out and breastworks were erected. The skirmishing was severe until about 9 p.m., when both parties ceased. At midnight, the right wing of the 93rd was detailed to cross the creek, and to build advanced works. After a night of severe labor on the fortifications it was discovered when daylight came, the Rebels had again commenced their trap. The regiment marched through Kingston to Cassville, and after resting a few days, advanced toward Dallas, through a section of the country known as "Burnt Hickory." On the morning of May 27 the regiment, with the remainder of Wood's division, withdrew from their position in the lines in front of Dallas, and with Johnson's division of the 14th Army Corps, marched against the right of the Rebel line. The troops started at 9 a.m., in line of battle, with bayonets fixed, and marched in line and in column, without firing a shot, until 5 p.m., when a detachment of skirmishers, under Captain Patton of the 93rd, discovered some cavalry and exchanged a few shots. Within 15 minutes the troops were engaged heavily, the 93rd being the front line. The fight lasted until nearly dark, when the National lines withdrew about a quarter of a mile. In this action the regiment lost 48 killed and wounded. The night was spent in building breastworks and in obtaining ammunition, and remained in position here until June 5. On the night of June 5 it moved near Acworth, where it remained a few days, and then marched toward Kennesaw. The 93rd was on the skirmish-line at Pine Knob, June 17, during the entire day, and lost 7 men wounded. On the 19th it was again on the front, and on the 23rd, the 93rd Ohio and the 5th Kentucky were sent to advance the picket line, then not move more than 500 yards from the brigade. The line was advanced a short distance after an hour's fight, with a loss to the regiment of 3 killed and 37 wounded. The 93rd followed the Rebels retreating from Kennesaw, and on July 4, 1864, it was the extreme left regiment of Sherman's army, and connected on the flank with the cavalry. It skirmished with the enemy from 10 a.m. until 11 p.m., through swamps and woods, losing 3 men wounded. On the 5th, it reached the Chattahoochee River and overtook the Rebel rear-guard, which, after a short engagement, retreated across its pontoons and cut them loose on the National side of the river. The regiment remained here 10 or 12 days, then moved up the river, crossed, and came down to a point opposite to that it had occupied July 5th. On the 18th it crossed Peachtree Creek and worked all night on the breastworks. The regiment pushed on toward Atlanta. On the morning of the 22nd, it came suddenly upon the Rebels and was compelled to halt and throw up fortifications. In this position it remained until August 26, performing its full share of all duty and losing but one man wounded. On the night of the 26th, the regiment marched around Atlanta, and at West Point, on the 28th, assisted in destroying the Atlanta and Montgomery Railroad. The 93rd was in reserve at Jonesboro, but it was in the front line at Lovejoy's Station on the 30th. It remained at Lovejoy's Station several days, and then returned to Atlanta and went into camp. In September the regiment moved to Gailsville, and from there, October 25, to Chattanooga and thence to Pulaski, Tennessee, where it camped until November 23rd, when it commenced falling back toward Nashville. On the afternoon of the 24th it arrived at Columbia, and at once resumed the old work of building breastworks. The retrograde movement continued, and on the 30th the 93rd reached Franklin, and lay in reserve during the fight. On the evening of the 30th, it was detailed as train-guard for the corps-train from Franklin to Nashville, and reached Nashville about noon December 1st. It lay at Nashville in the front line until December 15th, when the brigade was moved to the right to engage in the attack upon Hood, and the 93rd was left to hold the works in case of a reverse. On the 16th it joined the brigade on the Granny White Pike, about 4 miles from the city, and moved across to the Franklin Pike. The 93rd was formed to the left of the pike, with its right resting on the pike. It went into the fight with 90 men and lost 4 killed and 21 wounded. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ -1865- The regiment pursued Hood to the Tennessee, and finding that he had escaped, returned to Huntsville and went into camp. At Huntsville the 93rd was detailed to go to Paint Rock Bridge, about 20 miles northeast of Huntsville, for the purpose of ferrying rations across, the railroad bridge at that point having been burned. It built rafts and in 24 hours ferried across 75,000 rations of bread, meat, coffee, sugar, candles, and soap, then returned to Huntsville. It embarked in cars for Nashville, February 1, 1865, and remained there until February 6th, when it again returned to Huntsville. On March 15, the regiment left for East Tennessee. It went to Bull's Gap, thence to Greenville, thence across the mountains near to Ashville, North Carolina, from there back to Greenville, and from there to Nashville, where it arrived about May 1st. The regiment mustered out of service at Camp Harker, near Nashville, on June 8, 1865, and proceeded at once to Camp Dennison, Ohio, where it was paid and discharged on June 14th. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ -Summary- Prior to the muster out of the regiment, 8 officers and 241 men were discharged for disability; 4 officers and 204 men are accounted for as "died of disease, wounds and killed in action." 252 men were wounded once; 30 men were wounded twice; and 8 men were wounded three times. The surviving members of the 93rd have an association for preserving the memories of olden times, which meet the second Friday of June, in every year. But no such association is needed to preserve the memory of their sufferings and their glory at Stone River, Chickamauga, Brown's Ferry, Orchard Knob, Missionary Ridge, Kennesaw, Atlanta, Jonesboro, Lovejoy's Station, Franklin and Nashville. -end- [Note: This is a revised text based on the source noted below. The copy I've used has no publisher nor date noted. It is likely a later edition. Textual numbers have been changed to digits, dates now follow month/day format, punctuation has been reworked, and the text broken apart by year. The flow of the text remains unchanged. Transcription and revisions © 2002 William G. Schmidt] Source: "The History of Ohio Regiments and Other Military Organizations: Ohio In The War" Whitelaw Reid. Moore, Wilstach & Baldwin. Cincinnati 1868. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Further reference USAMHI RefBranch laf & ds Sep 96 93d Ohio Infantry Demoret, Alfred. A Brief History of the Ninety-third Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry: Recollections of a Private. Ross, OH: Graphic Print, l898. 54 p. (26 photocopied pages). E525.5.93d.D45. Dyer, Frederick H. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. Vol. 2. Dayton, OH: Morningside, 1979. Ref.See pp. 1537-38 (2 photocopied pages) for a concise summary of the regiment's service. Ohio. Chickamauga and Chattanooga Natl Park Comm. Chickamauga: Record of the.... Cincinnati, OH: Earhart & Richardson, 1896. E475.81O37.See pp. 87-89 (2 photocopied pages) on the regiment's service during the Chickamauga and Chattanooga Campaigns. . Roster Comm. Official Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio in the War of the Rebellion. Vol. 7. Cincinnati, OH: Ohio Valley Pr, 1888. pp. 184-212 & 707-12. E525.3038v7. (Unit roster and list of wartime deaths). Patton, Joseph T. "Personal Recollections of Four Years in Dixie." In War Papers (MOLLUS, MI, Vol. 1, Paper 20). Detroit, MI: Winn & Hammond, 1893. (15 photocopied pages). E464M5.1991v50. Reid, Whitelaw. Ohio in the War: Her Statesmen, Her Generals and Soldiers.... Vol. 2. Cincinnati, OH: Wilstach, Baldwin, 1872. E525R342v2. See pp. 517-21 (3 photocopied pages) for a brief regimental history and roster of officers. Richards, Henry. Letters of Captain Henry Richards of the Ninety-third Ohio Infantry. Cincinnati, OH: Wrightson, l883. 48 p. (25 photocopied pages). E525.5.93d.R53. Shewmon, Joe. "The Amazing Ordeal of Pvt. Joe Shewmon." CW Times Illus. Per. I (Apr l962): pp. 45-50 (6 photocopied pages) I (May l962): pp. 48-50 (3 photocopied pages) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ L.A. Then and Now Violent Fact and Fiction Merge at Rancho Guajome By: Cecilia Rasmussen Submitted by Janet Hunter From: Subject: Cave Johnson Couts Hi, I saw an article in the Los Angeles Times newspaper about your Couts family. Janet Hunter sent me your way. I typed it up and sent it out to several people on my mailing list for TNROOTS and thought you might like to have the text of it also? I'm not related to these folks as far as I know, I just saw Tennessee mentioned in the article and thought I'd mention it to my list. Pamela Burnette Los Angeles Times article, Sunday, September 22, 2002 If ever a house was populated by fictitious characters as well as the real personalities that may have inspired them, it's San Diego County's Rancho Guajome. The rancho, stepped in historic lawlessness, owes its name to the Luiseno Indian word whakavumi, meaning "the frog pond," and much of its reputation to the ruthless soldier who built it. The rest of its reputation comes from the writer who made it famous. Cave Johnson Couts was a pioneer who fought off cattle rustlers, squatters and all other comers with gun, guile and muscle. He also had a taste for drink that proved fatal to foes -- and, eventually, himself. Born in Tennessee and educated at West Point, he came to California as an Army lieutenant in 1848, a year before the fold strike to help wrest the state away from Mexico. He made a fortune feeding gold miners with his cattle. He also kept diaries that became one of the most important published historical sources of information about California during the Gold Rush. These days, the volumes are in the custody of the Huntington Library. Three decades after Couts' adventures made him and his home famous, Helen Hunt Jackson came calling. After a dustup over Indian servants, Couts' widow sent her packing. Once she'd read Jackson's 1884 best-selling novel "Ramona" -- the "Gone With the Wind" of its day --she threatened to sue. Couts stood 6 feet 3 and weighted more than 200 pounds. He survived gunfights, Indian battles and a lackluster stint in the military before settling in Southern California. In 1849, he was part of an escort for Army wagons from Monterey Mexico, to California. As the Army rode through San Diego, two daughters of prominent ranchero Juan Bandini leaned on a porch railing -- as the story goes -- to watch the troops. The railing gave way and the girls fell. Couts had the presence of mind to spur his horse over to one of them, Ysidora Bandini, and help her to her feet. Two years later they were married. Later in 1849, as California was preparing to become a state, Couts was appointed to the statehood convention. He also surveyed and mapped the town of San Diego, where he paid tribute to his future father=in=law with some place names, such as Juan Street. In 1851, Ysidora's sister, Arcadia Bandini Stearns, and Arcadia's husband, prosperous rancher Abel Stearns, gave the couple the deed to the 2,219-acre Rancho Guajome as a wedding gift. Today, its remaining 165 acres are part of Guajome Regional Park, about three miles east of Mission San Luis Rey in the wilds of Oceanside. Rangers can discuss the history of the state, the family and the rancho's supposed links to the fictional half-Indian maiden Ramona (to which many Southern California sites lay claim). Couts used the gift as a beginning to become a land baron. He resigned from the Army and soon acquired other San Diego properties, including the area surrounding Mission San Luis Rey (but not the Mission itself) and, later, nearby Buena Vista Rancho. But an Indian war loomed. Less than a year after his resignation, the Army recalled him and promoted him to lieutenant colonel. Leading a group of soldiers and volunteers, Couts quashed the rebellion and captured Antonio Garra, a bitter Luiseno who had sworn vengeance against all white settlers. Couts served as prosecutor and judge at the trial of Garra, who was convicted and executed by firing squad. Some Indians resented Couts, but more than 300 Luisenos who lived in the shadow of Mission San Luis Rey helped him build the 22-room Rancho Guajome in exchange for permission to live and hunt on his land. The rancho was almost a town; it even had its own general store and jail. In 1853, Couts moved into Rancho Guajome with his wife and two children. (The couple eventually had 10, eight of whom survived.) He was appointed U.S. Indian sub-agent, with duties that included responsibility for the welfare of local tribes. That's about when his relationship with the Indians went from tentative to terrible. Twice, a county grand jury considered charging him for beating two Indians with a strip of rawhide. One man eventually died from the beating, but no charges were filed. By the early 1860s, floods and a long drought had led to a breakdown of the cattle industry, which almost ruined Couts. Far grimmer and more ruthless was the smallpox epidemic of 1862-63. Couts kept tabs on it in his diary: "Smallpox is quite prevalent--six to eight per day are being buried in S. Juan Capistrano--Indians generally . . . . I vaccinated the whole rancheria at San Luis some six weeks since, and hope they may escape, thus saving our community of the terrible disease." Fearful that the malady would spread, Couts determined to prevent burials of its victims in the mission cemetery, which he owned. His edict would lead to bloodshed. On Jan. 13, 1863, family and friends of a well-known vaquero and cattleman, Don Ysidro Maria Alvarado, arrived at the cemetery for his burial. Couts' younger brother, San Diego Deputy Sheriff William Blount Couts, rode up with two of his brother's vaqueros to prevent it. As the Alvarado family lowered the coffin into the grave, Blount Couts told them that they could not proceed. From: Subject: Cave Johnson Couts Hi, I saw an article in the Los Angeles Times newspaper about your Couts family. Janet Hunter sent me your way. I typed it up and sent it out to several people on my mailing list for TNROOTS and thought you might like to have the text of it also? I'm not related to these folks as far as I know, I just saw Tennessee mentioned in the article and thought I'd mention it to my list. Pamela Burnette Los Angeles Times article, Sunday, September 22, 2002 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ SHOOTING AT BURIAL One member of the burial party, Leon Vasquez was outraged. Shovel in hand, he rushed at Blount Couts, who was armed with a double-barreled shotgun. Blount Couts shot him to death. As the unarmed burial party fled in fear, one of Couts' vaqueros fired again, wounding two men. "The whole affair was the act of a moment, the shots and deaths--all was muy pronto," one of the Alvarado's sons, Tomas, later wrote. Cave Johnson Couts felt responsible for what had happened and tried to deflect s ome of the blame. He wrote his brother's defense attorney: "The fellow killed is really not worth noticing. He (Vasquez) is known as a bad character." Three months later, San Diego County indicted Blount Couts for murder. His attorney cited a variety of problems with the paperwork and succeeded in having the charge dropped, despite depositions from eight witnesses. Smallpox and subsided by the spring of 1863, but Couts' bad luck continued. In 1865, while visiting the San Diego City Plaza, he happened upon Juan Mendoza, his former ranch foreman, who he had fired. Mendoza had threatened to kill Couts on several occasions. But when Mendoza spotted his former employer, he turned around and walked in the opposite direction. Couts showed no such compunction. He flew into a rage and shot Mendoza in the back with a double barreled shotgun, killing him. Los Angeles County Judge Benjamin Hayes, a friend of Couts, defended him, contending that the victim was a known robber and troublemaker and that his client had merely acted in self-defense. Couts was cleared on grounds that one of the jurors was n ot an American citizen. Fatherhood wasn't as forgiving as the law. In 1868, Couts' 15 year-old daughter, Tonia, ran off with two of his vaqueros. He tracked down the threesome and enrolled her in an Oakland convent. By 1870, he believed she and reformed and allowe d her to return home. Couts was to be rudely disappointed. He caught Waldemar Muller, a schoolteacher he had hired to tutor his children, climbing out of his daughter's window in the middle of the night. Muller tried to run, but Couts, drunken and enraged, peppered him with a load of buckshot. Muller was critically wounded; Couts was arrested and severely beaten by the sheriff. Even Couts' attorney scolded him in a note: "I fear your excitability from drink as a friend, let me ask you to keep sober. It is the only way to get even with the miserable judge and Irish sheriff." The case was dismissed. But the lawyer's warning about alcohol was on target. Couts died four years later at age 53, his health compromised by years of heavy drinking. Ysidora, known throughout the county for her hospitality, continued to run the rancho with the help of her eldest son, Cave Jr. In 1882, while Helen Hunt Jackson was touring Southern California missions and Indian reservations, she visited Rancho Guajome. She returned several months later, staying for several days and locking horns with Ysidora. As the two women prepared to hear Mass in the chapel, Indian servants brought them chairs from the house. Jackson objected to the servants' sitting on the floor. Ysidora worried that should would incite a riot among the servants and asked her to leave. " Ysidora was very demand on her servants, and the two women had unmendable differences about race and class," says Rancho Guajome senior park ranger Jake Enriquez. In 1884, when "Ramona" was published, Ysidora was outraged at what she perceived to be an unflattering portrayal of her and her son. She began talking to lawyers, but Jackson died before a lawsuit was filed. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ For other stories find the San Diego Historical Society Web page in our Links. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Join us at the Fandango at Rancho Guajome in August 2003. Please click for e-mail. Please click to go back to the main page.