CALIFORNIA'S COUTS COUSINS VOLUME 2 MAY - JUNE - JULY NUMBER 4 1998 A Quarterly Newsletter for the Descendants of the Couts Family WELCOME ~ It is the goal of this newsletter to create interest in and share the research for the Couts (pronounced K-outz) and Allied Family genealogy. It can only be written with the cooperation of each family member. We encourage each of you to send in your family group sheets (complete names, birth, death, locations, children as well as you know them - if we get enough information, we can connect you to your ancestors). The information that you find within its covers will be as "true" as we can prove. We NEED articles, photos, genealogy lines, and family stories. I will happily scan pictures, write articles over the phone, type the articles, and pay postage. Write, call, or e-mail-see the back page for details). ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ BECOME A NETTER ~ You now have the chance to add your name to the new Root Group. Just type in the following address, no subject name, and "subscribe". This is an independent internet group who provide a central address location for family members to exchange information and ideas. I came across it the other day. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ CALIFORNIA DREAMIN By Lynn and Barbara Wilson I know you are disappointed, but Barb and I have returned to my email keyboard after a month in California. By the way, we had 102 unread messages awaiting us. We had a ball running around Cal - the summary trip report is 19 kinfolks (11 for the first time), El Nino, a 4.5 earthquake and a snow avalanche! No, I don't classify them ALL as disasters. In fact, meeting new cousins while pursuing family history stuff was the basis of most of the travel. In fact, I was most pleased to collect a long overdue hug from a 1st cousin on my mother's side from whom I'd lost contact for 35 or so years. Good stuff! (Editor's Note: California is usually not that much fun!) We made Barb's Mom's place in Hemet our home-away-from-home, but we touched bases in San Diego, Victorville, Sierra Madre, Yosemite, Yuba City, Monterey/Carmel, and Santa Paula. California was beautiful after all the recent rains - spring had sprung and the mountain seemed to be covered in green velvet. Many of the devastating El Nino-related mudslides were in the LA basin within 75 or so miles of Hemet. We had water running hubcap deep in many streets, but no real hindrance. The earthquake was centered 4.0 or so miles away and we were lucky it happened 10 miles under ground or there might have been damage. It woke me up at about 4:15 am, but I just said "Wow" and turned over to return to sleep. The avalanche took place in Yosemite. I can't describe the beauty of the place. It had snowed 10 or 12 inches the night before and we had to enter the long way to keep from entering "snow chain" territory. But the day was crisp and clearing and the temp 40 or so. Snow hung on all the tree and mountain peaks and the waterfalls were breath-taking. We had few fellow tourists and almost felt we had the valley to ourselves. I had stopped for pictures when we heard the boom and rumble of the avalanche. Three rangers came by just after and when we asked if that was what we thought it was, they said "Yeah. Neat huh?" I have a number of postcard quality photos that will help us remember the truly impressive visit. In San Diego, we went to a National Historical Site, Rancho Guajome, which was the adobe home of a relative [Cave Johnson Couts]who built it in the 1850s. We had a personal tour of the Rancho by the ranger-in-charge gathered as much family history stuff as we could. There are wonderful stories about the relative who helped lay out Old Town San Diego. We also visited the son of a good friend who lives near the beach north of San Diego. He took us to dinner at the beachfront seafood restaurant at which he works (best food of the trip). We visited a cousin/genealogist and her family (Barb and Randy Evans) in Yuba City above Sacramento. Two other new cousins (Fay and Rich Flanherty) had driven a couple of hundred miles from Merced to meet with us. We gathered as much family history info as our chubby lil fingers could copy. We thoroughly enjoyed the family gabfest. From there we went to Monterey/Carmel area to gawk at the gorgeous golf courses, homes, and shoreline of Pacific Grove and the 17 Mile Drive. We dined with another new cousin who owns a restaurant nearby (Mark Couts - Moss Landing Deli). (Editor's note: I was extremely flattered that someone would drive that far for a visit!). We drove back to Hemet enjoying a quiet side of California as we tried to stay off the Interstates on the return trip. We made a stop in the Desert Tortoise National Park and didn't see anyone for about 2 or 3 hours. Our last fling was a trip to visit a nephew who is in school at a delightful little liberal arts college in the foothills near Ventura. The school is tucked away in a small valley away from everything and admits only 200 or so students. The quiet and peacefulness added greatly to the natural beauty. If you have followed this email this far, I commend you for your stamina. Take care and let us hear from you soon....Lynn ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ A BIOGRAPHY OF CAVE J. COUTS BY WILLIAM J. GLUM Comments: I'm a history buff and a docent in Old Town San Diego State Historic Park. Cave J. Couts is one of our historic figures. I have written a brief biography on Cave Couts, which I will share with you. THE MAN FROM TENNESSEE Opinionated, obstinate, egotistical, combative, cocky, arrogant, these were just some of the adjective used to describe one of San Diego's more colorful personalities in the last half of the 19th century. This American that was to leave a lasting mark on San Diego was Lieutenant Cave J. Couts of the First Dragoons. Born in Tennessee in 1821 and a graduate of West Point in 1843 he fought in the Mexican-American war as a dragoon (horse mounted infantry). At the end of the Mexican-American War he was assigned to a unit of the United States Army, known as Graham's Battalion, composed of four companies of the First and Second Dragoons. The Battalion marched all the way from Monterey in north central Mexico to California by way of Tucson. There were 275 soldiers, 160 wagons, 205 teamsters and other workmen for a total of 500 men in all. One of the young lieutenants of the First Dragoons was Cave J. Couts who kept a diary of their travels. Couts' diary relates the story of the Battalion's difficult and disorganized march. They followed the Gila Trail and crossed the Colorado River in late November 1848. All along the way they were passed by adventurers headed for the gold fields. He wrote in his diary, "This is all we can hear, The Mines!". Climbing up San Felipe grade in deep snow the battalion arrived at Warner Ranch on December 29, one month after leaving Yuma Crossing. Typical of Couts reputation, he has little to say that is complimentary. He blames many of the problems on the incompetence of Major Graham, who had brought along a large comfortable tent, a willing mistress, and a goodly supply of liquor. He calls Warner a rascal, famed for his abilityto tell lies. After leaving Warner's Ranch he accused him of stealing his favorite stallion. In June of 1849 the United States Boundary Commission arrived in San Diego to survey the international border between United States and Mexico. With the commission was W.H. Emory, a survivor of the Battle of San Pasqual and now a major in the Topographical Engineers. He was assigned to the commission as astronomer and commander of troops. Waiting in San Diego to accompany and protect the commission was Company A of the First Dragoons, commanded by Lt. Couts. The commission, composed of civilians as well as military personnel, with conflicting instructions and antagonistic personalities, accomplished its mission under extreme difficulties. Major Emory's records tell of a fight between a major and a lieutenant over the honor of a senorita. Lt. Amiel Weeks Whipple, accompanied by Lt. Couts, was to established the exact point of the confluence of the Gila and ColoradoRivers. Disputes arose between Whipple and Couts. Andrew B. Gray, a civilian engineer, left the survey party to lead the Collier party of immigrants to San Diego. In the desert hills Couts noted indications of gold, "and certainly metal of some kind abounds" . All along the desert route they encountered immigrants, many begging for food and in all states of despair. So many were from southern states that Couts was led to comment that, "if any are left in Arkansas, it is more numerously populated than I had anticipated.". GENTLEMAN-RANCHER While a member of the boundary commission, Couts was a frequent guest at the Casa de Bandini, where he fell in love with Juan Bandini's daughter Ysidora. They were married in 1851. Ysidora's sister was married to Able Stearns, a wealthy Los Angeles rancher and merchant. As a wedding present he gave them Rancho Guajome. From that day on Couts considered himself to be one of the Silver Dons. He resigned from the army and set out to make the rancho a show place of San Diego County. An engineer, Couts quickly took charge of his rancho, designing the buildings to incorporate both traditional Spanish-Mexican and American features. Construction was of adobe brick and redwood. Labor was supplied by mission Indians. In typical hacienda style, the living quarters surrounded an enclosed courtyard. American features included sash windows and finished fireplaces. The first three rooms were completed by 1853 and the family moved in while work continued on the remainder of the house until 1855. When finished, the building contained 20 rooms in four wings around a central patio, 80 x 90. There was a central fountain and in one of the adjoining buildings was a small chapel. RANCHO GUAJOME Consisting of only 2,219 acres, the rancho was small compared to the typical Mexican land grants. Originally granted to two Indians from the San Luis Rey Mission in 1845, it had long been used as an Indian campground. The dominant feature is a valley with a small pond, fed by a seep in the upper end of the valley. Guajome has been variously translated as "frog pond", "little frogs" and "tadpoles". Couts soon acquired adjoining Buena Vista Rancho to the north and Los Vallecitos de San Marcos on his south, expanding his holdings to about 20,000 acres. Couts, like many Southerners who had come to California, had exchanged cotton for cattle and Negroes for Indians. Cattle ranching was the main use of the ranch, but drought, flood, and a smallpox outbreak forced him to find other sources of income. Using cheap Indian labor he turned to agriculture, planting grapes, vegetables and fruit trees. He had one of the first commercial orange groves in San Diego County. Judge Hay described Guajome as a paradise. "In the summer especially, when all the country is dry, one feels that Guajome is like an oasis in the desert. The twenty miles leading to it from Temecula, present no cultivation at all...through the thirty-eight miles toward the town of San Diego, there are two small vineyards -Buena Vista and Encinitas- nothing more. All is to the eye a dreary waste save where nature has sown the grass and wild oak and chance flower." Ysidora loved to play the grand lady and gracious hostess. Famous guests included William Seward (Lincoln's Secretary of State), historian Hubert H. Bancroft, and author Helen Hunt Jackson. Rancho Guajome, Ysidora and Cave Jr. are often considered to be the model for the rancho and family characters in Jackson's famous novel "Romona". Legend has it that Dona Couts became so upset with Mrs. Jackson's defense of Indian rights she locked her in her room over night and ordered her to leave the next day. CAVE COUTS AND THE LAW Cave Couts name appears frequently in the records of court actions in San Diego County, on both sides of the bench. After the Indian uprising in the fall of 1851, when Chief Garra's followers attacked Warner Ranch and Warner Hot Springs killing several Americans, Couts was named a Captain in the volunteer company to defend the city. Following Garra's capture he was taken to San Diego, where he was tried before a militia court martial on charges of treason. (How could an Indian who was not in the military, was not considered a citizen, be tried in a military court for treason took a little stretching of the law.) Lt. Sweeny, commanding officer of the regular army unit in San Diego refused to sit on the court martial and would not let his soldiers carry out the execution. Cave Couts served as judge advocate at the trial. Garra was convicted and executed. Another luckless troublemaker was James Robinson, known as "Yankee Jim." He was accused of stealing a rowboat. Though it was found abandoned a short time later, Yankee Jim was taken before a grand jury, with Cave Couts as foreman. The jury pronounced the theft a capital crime, and the Court of Sessions, after a trial, returned a verdict, sentenced him to death by hanging. [Editor's note: Mr. Robinson's ghost is said to visit the house built over his hanging spot, because he said he was innocent.] J Cave Couts, himself was indicted by the grand jury twice in 185l on charges of beating two Indians with a rawhide riata. One of them was a boy and in his case Couts was acquitted of a charge of assault. In the other case the Indian died as result of the beating and Couts was charged with manslaughter. Couts' attorney, O.S. Witherby, won a dismissal on the contention that one of the grand jurors was an alien. In 1865 Cave Couts was indicted on a charge of murder. Couts' attorney (Witherby again) was successful once more in having the indictment dismissed, this time on the grounds the district attorney had not posted his bond of office. Another indictment of Couts came in 1866. He was tried and acquitted on a charge of murdering his majordomo, Juan Mendoza. Couts defense was that he had discharged Mendoza, who then threatened to kill him. For months Couts stayed away from San Diego while Mendoza, armed with a six-shooter and a knife sent challenges to Couts from the town bars. After several months Couts checked into the Colorado House on business. Mendoza confronted him on the Plaza. Couts, who had been wearing a serape, dropped it to reveal a double-barreled shotgun. Mendoza turned to flee but was cut down with a blast from both barrels. Couts frequently filed lawsuits on his own, generally in disputes over land titles. Once in 1870, after Sheriff McCoy had occasion to arrest him for assault; Couts promptly filed a civil suit against McCoy, but lost in court. Cave Couts died of an aneurysm in 1874 leaving the Rancho in the hands of his widow Ysidora and son, Cave Couts Jr., who managed the property for his mother. Ysidora remained in the house until her death in 1897. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ THE HISTORY OF WARRICK COUNTY INDIANA Pg. 27 EDITOR'S NOTE: This John Couts was married to Mary (Polly) Caldwell. He was the son of Chrisley Couts Sr. John and Polly Couts left Kentucky and Tennessee (circa 1813, after we believe, receiving land bounty in Indiana) and moved to Indiana (Warrick and Pike Counties). There, they raised their families with the Andersons, Baileys, Mc Faddens, and Boones. This it must be remembered, was about two years prior to the birth of Boonville, and while the county-seat was located at Darlington. Boon Township is by far the largest in the county and occupies a central position. It is bounded... The following is a full list, prior to and including the year of 1820 of settlers, and the land entries for this township: William Graham, 1818, Ratliff Boon, 1812; John Couts, 1813; James Wright, 1816; Joshua Anderson, 1813. Overseers of the poor were as follows: Ratliff Boon and Wyatt Anderson, in Anderson Township; October term of the court: Ratliff Boon Inspector of Anderson Township. In May, 1814 a new township was being organized called Lynn. At the same term Daniel Grass was recommended to the Governor as a suitable person to be appointed Associate Judge in the place of Bailey Anderson, who had resigned. In 1807, Bailey Anderson came into this township from Kentucky and for the succeeding ten years was one of the leading men of the county. Early of Anderson Township- On the first Monday in August, 1814, an election was help for a delegate to Congress and for members of the Territorial Legislature. Forty-eight votes were cast. These seven voted for Sparks: Joseph English, Bailey Anderson, Josh Anderson and John Couts...Jennings received forty-one votes, as follows Wyatt Anderson, Anderson McFadden, Bailey Anderson...Ratliff Boon was a candidate for Representative. Boon received forty-seven votes. By many it is supposed that Ratliff Boone was the first settler on Boone Township, but of this there is some doubt. Others go so far as to claim that his son Perry was the first white child born in the county; but many families settle the county three to four years earlier than Boone. Ratliff Boon as a native of Georgia, but while young moved with his parents to Danville, KY, where he learned the trade of gunsmith. He came to Warrick County not earlier than the year 1809, although it is claimed by some that he came two years earlier than that date. His father-in-law was Bailey Anderson, who had come in 1807. Election on May 13, 1816 for delegates to the Constitutional Convention... Bailey Anderson was elected by Ratliff Boon, Bailey English, Bailey Anderson, Joshua Anderson... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ CONGRATULATIONS! Barb, Before that, however, I turned in my "formal" retirement letter yesterday.....I figured "Been there, done that" wasn't an option. [LAUNA IS A TEACHER/ADMINISTRATOR IN A MIDDLE SCHOOL IN SANTA BARBARA] FROM: Launa Kitros (John Byrd and Nancy Couts) SUBJECT: Retirement June 1998 DATE: February 21, 1998 I've got things to do Thirty-five years in And places to see "perennial pu-ber-ty" So, I'm "passing the torch" I guess I've earned the right--- Turning in my key! No bells----to be free! To sleep in until noon. To travel the world To stay in a gown. And see places I've taught. To stay in my home I'll think of you often Just "hanging around". Great memories I've got! CC: Jolene Reed Personnel ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY AND WELCOME TO THE FAMILY TO: Chelsea Brooke Richardson b. March 18, 1998, to Margaret and Richard Richardson. She is 9 lbs 8 oz, 21 inches long. Chelsea (Her picture is on the Couts Family Web Page) Proud grandparents: Tom and Carol Couts ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ HAPPY 50TH ANNIVERSARY Clarence "Bo" Couts and Wanda Roller Couts March 26, 1998 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Congratulations also goes to Mr. James Armstrong of Springfield, Tennessee for his honor of being named, has been elected Camp Historian Emeritus for the The Last Raider, John Hunt Morgan Camp 270; Sons of Confederate Veterans, Greenbrier, Tennessee in January, 1998. Mr. Armstrong gave us the wonderful stories of John Couts of Springfield. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ THE INTERNET COUTS - THE LATEST COLLECTION- Subject: Probate Records -Reply Dear Mrs. Evans: Thank you for writing. We regret that we found no listing for Crisley Couts in the reference, Index to Tennessee Wills and Administrations, 1779-1861. There were two separate listings for a Archer Couts, as well as listings for Jackson, John, Mary P., William, Archer B., and Albert W. Couts, all of neighboring Robertson County. These records are dated primarily in the 1840s and 1850s; however, John Couts' s record is dated 1828 and one of the records of Archer Couts is dated 1833. Should any of these records be of interest to you, instructions for ordering copies of them can be obtained at the following address on our web site: We hope that your research goes well. Please let us know if we may assist you in any other way.. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Mary Lou Bible in Knox Co TN. She went over, held and copied it. There were about 200 pages of research done by Lynx Lewis, it had the Chrisman information, and I got on it and found the Hite info. I can't find much on him personally though. Some say he was a Baron, some say no. I have been desperately working on my Byrd/Bird line. Think I may have found a connection on the Holeman/Byrd lineage. Lady says she has lots of stuff at home, but won't be there until the 21st. She is visiting her daughter. Sure hope she has something. I have found Byrds in Pittsylvania Co, Washington /Russell Co, VA also found some Counts, which I think are actually Couts, at least Teeter, and I know you have a Teeter Couts. I am thinking they may have all come to TN with the Donelson party on the flotilla. No proof, just looks very likely. Washington/Russell Co VA are at Clinch Mt. so looks pretty good. Take care, and let me hear from you once in a while, I hate to take up your time, I know you are very busy. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Subj: William Blounts Couts Date: 98-02-26 04:30:05 EST From: (kevin) I only have some information but I'll give you all I have so far. I need to go to San Diego Historical Society. They have a whole book on the Couts Family. I didn't have enough time to look through it since they are only open to the public Thursday through Saturday 10 -4. The following information is in an attached file. Here is the following information that I have: William Blounts Couts was born 18 July 1830 in Springfield, Robertson, Tennessee. He married on 16 April 1863 in San Diego, California to Maria Refugia Concepcion Arguello (26 Apr 1842 - 26 Apr 1926). They had nine children that I've accounted for so far. They are: 1. Catherine Johnson Couts (born 10 Jul 1864 in San Diego) 2. Albert Henry Couts (born 05 Feb 1866 in San Diego) 3. George Allan Couts (born 23 Sep 1868 in San Luis Rey) 4. James Couts (born 02 Sep 1869 in San Luis Rey) 5. Charles Thomas Couts (born 29 Aug 1870 in San Luis Rey) 6. Thomas Henry Couts (born 04 Aug 1872 in San Luis Rey) 7. Maria Antonia Couts (born 03 Oct 1878 in San Luis Rey) 8. William Bandini Couts (born November1879) 9. Cave Couts (born 04 Jan 1883 in San Diego) 1. Catherine Johnson Couts (died 07 Feb 1895 in San Diego) married Josiah Elmer Shaffer on 20 Dec 1890 in Otay, California. She had threechildren that I know of. Louis H. (Wylie) Shaffer (24 Aug 1892 - 23 Jun1966), Maria Delia Shaffer (born 22 Sep 1893) and Maria Antonia EugeniaShaffer (born 13 Jun 1895). Maria Delia married someone named Marshall and Maria Antonia Eugenia married twice. She married on 13 Jun 1895Percy Beggs in Los Angeles. She then married John H. Harrigan on 03 Aug 1917 in Los Angeles. 2. Albert Henry Couts (died 27 Aug 1953 in San Diego) married Lydia Ida Citerly on 24 Dec 1895 in San Diego. I don't have any children listed yet. 3. George Allan Couts (died 09 Oct 1932 in San Diego) married Adela Francisca Arguello on 19 Apr 1891 in San Diego, his first cousin andwidow of John Stanovich. I do not know of any issue so far. 4. I don't have any further information on James Couts. 5. Charles Thomas Couts (died 21 May 1934 in Oceanside, CA) married Charlotte Marie Patterson on 04 Sep 1897. Don't have information on children. 6. Thomas Henry Couts died on 29 Nov 1894 in Grantville, California. 7. Maria Antonia Couts married Alejandro Devars. 9. Cave Couts died in November of 1975 in Corona, CA. As soon as I get more information, I'll be happy to send it to you. I'm leaving for Germany on Friday but will be back on 09 March. On Thursday, I'll go back to the Historical Society and look through the Couts folder and get more information. I know a lot of them married into the Bandini Family as well. Hope this helps! Kevin has a wonderful history program with his Middle School Students. (Thanks Kevin!!!!!) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Sbj: Re: Fwd: Gwalltneys From: (Larry Gwaltney) Barbara, You will find the Gwaltneys, at that point in time (circa 1815), in Posey and Gibson county in Indiana and just across the state line in White County, Ill. Check Indiana marriage records and you will find five or six Gwaltneys between 1810 and 1825. Aaron is not familiar to me but may be there some where . The first Gwaltney in the county was Thomas who had two sons, William and James. One of the sons was born in 1610 around James tow, Va., so Thomas had to arrive about the time the colony was being established in 1606. They spread throughout eastern Virginia (Isle of Wright and Surrey counties primarily) and then south to North Carolina (around Asheville area). A Harris Gwaltney left North Carolina for Indiana sometime prior to his marriage in Gibson or Posey county in 1810. I've not been able to connect Harris with the Virginia Gwaltney's. You will also find a clan of Gwaltney's in eastern Tennessee and around Rome, Georgia. The largest concentration is still around eastern Virginia. The name is believed to be Welsh in origin then spread into England. The most common names will be William, Thomas, John James, and Benjamin; the usual Anglo-Saxon group. I'm not sure if this is any help but you are welcome to it. Larry Subj: Ellen Couts of Ohio Date: 98-04-03 From: (Gerald & Maxine) I am seeking the parents of Ellen Couts who married James Reed in Noble Co., OH. Any ideas? Maxine Kuhn Subj: VIOLET COUTS OF OHIO Date: 98-04-04 From: (WYL244)Barb, Thanks for all of the help. We get discouraged, but we know that she was out there somewhere ....had to we keep looking and looking. We have very few clues left, but just can't give up....especially with nice people like you [AHH SHUCKS!] who come our way and get us all ready for the next battle. Just think how excited we will be when we do find here.... You will probably hear us yelling all the way from the backwoods here in Mississippi. Thanks..thank...thanks.... Love ya Patchez and Mack Subject: Re: Melissa Couts Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 00:20:56 -0400 My name is Melissa Couts. The last name is pronounced K-ow-tz notCoots. My father is Ronald Couts born in Girard, Ohio, By Lillian & Theron Couts.Theron passed away 4 years ago, leaving Lillian who is still alive at the age of 85. Their only son, Ronald Couts had married Joyce Noderer and moved to Florida. It was in Florida where Ron & Joyce had 4 children (2) BOYS (2)GIRLS. First born Ronald Couts named after my dad, Second David Couts, Third Kristin Couts, Fourth that's me-Melissa Couts. Ronnie & David both have new additions to the Couts Family, Ronnie's wife Jeanette had a little boy, 6 years ago, named Brandon Couts David's wife had two little boys one is one years old and named Nick - Nack for Nickolas, the other is Christopher who is two years old Florida.) If needed I can find out more information. Please write back would love to hear from you again. My Email address is Thank you, Melissa Couts Subj: Archibald Stark Date:98-04-07 From: (REMEMBEAR) Have just found your posting about Archibald Stark on Family Tree maker. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything on Archibald after reading through the newsletter and genealogies. We are trying to find information on Eleanor Nichols, Mrs. Archibald Stark, and her parents, James and Margaret Nichols, because they are the grandparents of our ancestor Robert Walker. We are especially interested in anything further you have regarding Archibald's birth in Scotland, what ship he came to America on, etc. Appreciate your help. This is for a soon to be published book, and we are still hunting bits and pieces of information on ancestors. Thank you, E. H. Allen D. L. Walker Subj:"Attitude" by Chuck Swindoll Date:97-12-01 19:29:12 EST From:glc9151@Dekalb.Net (Gale Couts "The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company......a church.......a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past.....we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude......I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you.....we are in charge of our Attitudes." Hope you were inspired in some way by that positive message. DaveGale Subj: Couts/Owens lines Date:98-01-17 01:28:07 EST From:Sjcfamorg1 Hey Barb,Your John Couts and Henrietta B. Owens, the sister of my line, Frances Wilkerson Owen who md. Eli Baggett. Another sister, Elizabeth Owen md Thomas N. Savage, Sr. and their son, Thomas N. Savage, Jr. md Nancy Wilks Baggett, (my direct line) So I have two direct lines off of the Owen lines. To top it off, another sister, Minor Moody Owen md into my Baggett line, but is not my direct line. The Baggett lines are off of Granberry Baggett. It can cause a person to go around in circles. If you get lost in all of this, I'll try to help you understand it, I hope. Keep in touch and looking forward to hearing from you. Later.....Sharon ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ SUBJ: INDIANA COUTSES Date: 98-01-26 19:42:49 EST From: JCouts5610 Hi Barb, just exactly what is your weather out there? Are you so CA or northern, how close to Oregon? etc, etc, etc. I am a geography "nut", always want to know where these places are. My daughter accidentally sent some e-mail to a JCouts (only address) at Purdue. She is going to find out more about him. May be another relative. It is certainly one we don't have any connection to. I'll let you know. I know you want to know more about Jack's family. His father was a coal miner and so are two of his brothers, several nephews and in-laws. I guess this family has seen a lot of carbon head for the furnace. It was all strip mines here in So. Indiana, except his brother Charles who was the Maintenance Supervisor for the whole western division of Peabody Coal (and he never graduated from high school), and lives now in No. AZ. (he's retired) Jack left home after high school, joined the Navy, there for 4 years, then worked for Roadmaster/AMF in Olney, IL for 23 yrs, (trikes bikes, wagons, etc), after health went bad, semi-retired, and now works as warehouse supervisor. Has been here 11 yrs. Now Incidentally, he only has 2 daughters, one by first wife, (Monica, a nurse) and one by me, (Leslie, a freshman UKY), Well, better close, more later about the family. TaTa Anita Subj: Bowers Family Date:98-03-31 20:40:34 EST From: (James Bledsoe) I was looking through your family roots and came across Daniel and Mary Bowers. My great-grand parents were Daniel and Mary Bowers. As I have search there is several Daniel Bowers. My father's father was Daniel as well, his dad was Daniel Bowers, Also. My dad's mother was Julie Cannon Bowers. She did when my father was a child he said. I did not know my father's family. I was wondering if there might be some connections. My parents are deceased as well. Subj:Re: Kautz family Date:98-04-01 17:59:22 EST From: (Ernest L Culler) I am looking for info. on Frederick Kautz, born Sept 15, 1857 in Germany or Switzerland. Died in Hampton, VA March 13, 1911. The reason I didn't find your home page was the "s" was left out of /cout.html., so I'll try again. thanks. Ernest. Name: Larry Kautz Website: Referred by: Net Search From: West Jefferson, NC Time: 1998-04-10 04:44:41 Comments: I'll be in Fairfield Bay, Arkansas at the Kautz-Koutz- Kouts-Couts reunion in June. Will you? (Ed. Note: Probably not this year, but if the connections are right Kautz 2000 may be in CA) Name: Peter Ernst Kautz Website: Referred by: Just Surfed On In From: Berlin 1937, now Clayton California Time:1998-04-09 Comments: Would love to come to Arkansas in June but cannot. Enjoyed the website and will come back to it often. Name: Lee LALLIER Website: Referred by: Just Surfed On In From: California Time: 1998-04-07 04:07:56 Comments: I accidentally (surfing) came across your Couts homepage. I am related as follows: Christopher Couts, Nancy Jance Couts(husband John Adam Hartig, dau Ida Mae Hartig (husband Emil Lallier); son Eugene (1903), son Leland Edward Lallier(me). I really appreciate have this tree, etc. - an understatement. Subj: Barradall Date: 98-04-02 From: BlevinsJC1 BlevinsJC1@aol. Subject: Barradall Barbara, Wow! Wow! wow! what an impressive web page.[See Coutses your information and your page is outstanding]..I read all the newsletters and was so have really put a lot of work into this.......I'm embarrassed to say I can't even hold a candle...I found so many interesting things and my head is swimming....On one entry about John Couts Jr. talks about the land transaction between Thomas Woodard and John Couts Sr. It said "the north side of the creek was originally owned by Mr. Woodard and today by Mr. and Mrs.Gaston"! THAT IS MY MAIDEN NAME!!! Ralph Estep Gaston married Lelia Barradall the daughter of Lelia and N.D. Barradall, the brother of ClaudeWills Barradall who married Mary H. Couts! My Gaston ancestors were in N. Carolina and PA. and there was a home owned by Olive Gaston in I believe PA? As I said I have only been at it for 1 year........It is so STRANGE that Gastons were in this story!!! Second coincidence is that Henry Couts married a "Minton" and in 1825 Isle of Wright, PA. William H. Barradoll married a Elizabeth Minton Oct.11, 1825 William H. is the father of C.W. Barradall who married Mary H. I am so confused....How strange that the Minton and Barradall and Couts were somehow connected.... How strange that Gaston and Couts are in the same area of information.......How strange that my gmother Lelia Sanford Barradall Jr. married a Gaston in the early 1920's.... (can't find the exact date) still looking.....Any Ideas??? Will send the Couts/Barradall info tomorrow.....not much time tonight but wanted to tell you all this.....oh I sent a letter to Pam Couts is what I sent.......this gets even more confusing..... Subj: Couts/Barradall Date: 98-03-29 23:21:11 EST From: BlevinsJC1 To:SBPamarie Hi Pam aka drake9996,I am so excited I can hardly sit still. I hope this is a connection and somehow it feels right. I found the Couts web page with the help of Barbara Evans. I guess I'll start at the beginning....My gr grandfather was Norborne D. Barradall....his brother was Claude Wills Barradall. aka C.W. Barradall. C.W. Barradall married a Mary H. Couts in 1880 and died in 1884 (mysteriously shot and killed) I found reference to Mary and her first husband. in your newsletter on line ?? # 6. Well here comes the fun part......'My gr grandfather was married to Lelia (Sanford) Barradall in 1879. She died in 1882 and he had two children..... One was my gmother Lelia (named after her mother) and the other was her brother Norborne. He was 2 yrs. old and she was 10 mos. at the time. Well.... gmother was given to her gma to be raised in St. Charles Mo. And Norborne her brother was given to ? I know that C.W. married Mary in 1880 and I wonder if they raised little Norborne?? The mystery part is... N.D. Barradall Sr. didn't die until 1906 and at that time he remarried a May Drake. It states he had according, to his obit, a step child living in Texas with the initials J.B. Drake..Does this mean anything..I am sure the Drake and Barradalls connect I'm not sure.. Please let me know what you think. Anxiously awaiting your reply. Jacquie in San Jose, CA. Subj: BAIRD Surname Date:98-04-03 18:19:58 EST From: (Luci Wilder) I've visited your site and I think it's just the kind of link I'm looking for. I'm adding genealogical resources to my site based on surnames that are in my on-line family tree. Currently we have 1,384 surnames covering 5,340 individuals at, and BAIRD is one of those. 7 I'll be adding you as a link on my site because I want visitors who don't find what they are looking for at my site to be able to go to other great sites like yours. I may be linking to you more than once (if I find -- initially through search engines -- that we have more than one common surname), I will let you know of each link. Great Job! [thanks] Luci Wilder HYPERLINK Subj: California Couts family Date: 98-04-02 20:08:20 EST From: (William McLaren) Hi, My name is William F. McLaren, Jr. and I am a descendant of Cave Johnson Couts through his daughter, Maria Antonia Couts, and her husband, Chalmers Scott. I only stumbled on your website this afternoon and I have not yet been able to read all of the material. I can see, however, that you are light years ahead of me in family knowledge.[Editor's note: I only reflect what is sent to the family] In this regard I have put together some rough family tree info, some of which involves our common ancestors. The information which I have came primarily from my grandmother's application for membership in the DAR. That application traces a path to the Revolution through the family of Nancy Johnson, the wife of William Couts (son of John Sr. and Leah Stark). While I probably don't have any info that you don't already have, I would be happy to send a copy of what I have. If you would be interested please give me a name and a mailing address. Your site is most interesting. Keep up the good work. Bill McLaren Subj: Mom's photo Date:98-04-12 From: (William McLaren) Hi Barb, Feel free to show the picture of my Mom, and any pictures that I may send. Mom was very beautiful and quite a Los Angeles socialite during the 1930's, until she married my dad in 1938. We have numerous newspaper clippings of her. She passed away in 1967 at the age of 54. Bill ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ JAMES MONROE COUTS Written by Janice Couts, Thelma (Couts) Welbaum Wilford Herschel Couts, Jr. Our grandfather, James Monroe Couts, was born on 1 December l865 at Wheatonville, Warrick County, Indiana (about 15 miles north of Evansville). He was the first child of his parents, Aaron C Couts (born in 1831 in Warrick County, IN) and Sarah Ellen Wallace. They are believed to have married on 7 May l857. Figure 1 shows Aaron and Sarah Couts. It is undated but was probably taken in the 1857-1870 period. Aaron was a farmer. The family moved from Warrick County to Pike County when James Monroe was a small boy. In addition to James Monroe, there was a son George whose descendants live in southern Indiana, a son Fred, another son Simeon who drowned while fording a stream and is buried in Grayville, IL, and a daughter Etta who later married a Baker. We have no knowledge of when Aaron died or where he was buried. After his death, Sarah married a Benton. At some point she moved to live near or with her daughter Etta Baker in Noble, Richland County, IL. However Sarah returned to visit her eldest son James and his wife for a week each summer. Our Aunt/Mother Edith remembers her vividly. Sarah had a special pocket in each dress for her tobacco pouch and stone pipe and she enjoyed a smoke after every meal. James Monroe Couts went to school but only for a few years. He learned to read with the McGuffey readers. The Couts family lived on a farm and there must have been many chores. As the eldest son, James Monroe must have been encouraged to become independent and he did. He arrived in Spurgeon, Pike County, IN where he met Mary Elizabeth Connor. They married on 31 Jan 1886 which they remembered as a very cold, snowy day. Including the preacher there were seven at the wedding. Fig. 2 is undated but James Monroe appears to be 25-30 years of age. The Connor parents, James and Ellen (Mulvahill) Connor, lived on the top of a small hill about 3 miles north of Spurgeon (in an area later called Enos Corner) and were farmers. James Monroe and Mary Elizabeth started married life about 4 miles away from her parents but they soon acquired about 100 acres at the foot of the hill where her parents lived. He also worked part-time at a sawmill. James Monroe must have already had some carpentry skills because he built a two-room house for them. But shortly thereafter the local creek flooded. Water just covered the kitchen floor but the carpet strip prevented it from flowing into the living room. The seven pigs had been put in a corn crib and the chickens were shut up in their coop. But the water rose too high and drowned them all. In a taped interview years later, they remembered this as their greatest blow. They had to get extra work to get cash to buy replacements. But James Monroe solved the flooding problem. He raised the foundation with three courses of concrete block and built up the yard around the house with fill. Later he added a second floor of two bedrooms, and then still later he added two rooms on the back to house the growing family. The house had no cellar because of the water table but there was a huge attic closet for out-of-season clothes and storage of the feather beds in summer. The kitchen had a big coal range but the other rooms downstairs had fireplaces and those upstairs were unheated. As kids, we picked up coal along the tracks near the coal mine. The coal was high-sulfur and the bed of coals protruded out in the room for best radiation but the flues were well-designed and had a tremendous draw. James Monroe built these flues himself. He had the skill to build a fireplace with an extremely strong draft and was asked by many neighbors to build or re-build their flues. There was a big side porch with a cistern. Water was heated in two big iron kettles out in the driveway and washing was done on the porch. When it rained, the clothes hung on the porch to dry. Drinking water came from a well near the back porch. We would drop the bucket on a rope down into the water and then pull it up using a pulley. The water was always cool and clear. Near the side porch was a large, square, double-brick-walled building with a huge heavy wooden door for insulation. Total wall thickness was two feet with sawdust in the middle. It had a concrete floor and was used for year round food storage (milk, onions, potatoes, canned vegetables, fruits, etc.) There was a huge garden and just past it was an outhouse. The house was electrified (in the 20's?) but never plumbed. An electric powered water pump was installed in the kitchen in the l940's. There was a "bathroom" with a tub but it was filled by hand and it drained into a dry well. Beyond the garden was a large poultry yard and a barn for the cows and the mules. It had a big haymow of fond memories. James Monroe had built all of these himself. It is thought that he had gained additional carpentry skills while working on the Enos Coal Co. tipple construction in 1920 about a quarter-mile from their home. Carpenters earned $1.50 per day. James Monroe and Mary Elizabeth Couts had nine children, all living to adulthood. They were:
James Aaron born 27 May 1887 John Edward 26 March 1889 Mary Ellen 31 March 1891 Emery Virgil 3 November 1893 William Carl 30 November 1895 Wilford Herschel 15 November 1900 Theodore Cecil 26 March 1902 George Henry 23 November 1905 Edith Mariah 8 November 1907
All went to the Farmer's School about a mile from their home. All are shown in a 1907 photograph, Fig. 3, except James Aaron (already married) and Edith Mariah (not yet born). Note that the mules were also honored family members. The house is partially visible. At a later date, a front porch with a swing was added. The two daughters became housewives. The two eldest boys became coal miners. One son (William Carl) left home and his fate is not known. And the remaining four sons were all high school mathematics teachers and coaches during their careers. Mary Ellen married Sam Allen and moved to near Findlay, Hancock County, Ohio. But all of the rest lived fairly close and were frequently at the homestead for weekends and holidays. It would take three shifts at the dining room table to feed everyone (usually Mother and Father and sons first, kids second, and daughter and daughters-in-law third.). The house wasn't large but it had some big furniture in it. Mary Elizabeth's mother, Ellen, was responsible for the children's clothing for some wealthy families in Evansville and the furniture was hand-me-downs from them. Mary Elizabeth insisted that it all get a coat of varnish each year. It did and it was shiny black. With a coal tipple almost across the street, it certainly showed the dust. And dusting those intricate pieces was a kid's job. After James Monroe and Mary Elizabeth died, some of the furniture was sold and some was distributed among the children. After stripping the varnish, many of the Victorian pieces revealed beautiful wood grain. James Monroe kept a diary of some of his carpentry and Fig. 4 is a contract to build a pole barn for a neighbor. He had his sons assist him as they reached appropriate ages. Wilford told me how his Dad would ask him to determine the length of a rafter. My Dad would square the two sides, sum, and then figure the square root. His Dad would turn his back for perhaps 5 seconds and then approve the answer or tell him to try again. After my Dad consistently obtained the right answer, then his Dad showed him how to measure across the two dimensions on an L-square. James Monroe retired from carpentering at age 65 (about 1930) and our first memories were of farm activities like riding the wagon full of hay from the field to the barn or pushing hay from the mow down into the stalls. Part of the farm was really a slough covered with water in the spring but it was rich in blackberries. Grandpa never smoked but he chewed tobacco. A spittoon was always placed beside his rocking chair. He liked to read dime novels (westerns and WW1 flying) which he kept behind the mirror above the dining room mantel. Mary Elizabeth had cataracts and couldn't see well but she still bossed the kitchen. The cooking was always in quantity. Flour and sugar were in barrels in the pantry. Usually there was a banana cake or pineapple upside-down cake on a table. Macaroni-and-cheese was available three meals a day, seven days a week. James Monroe had a '27 or '28 Model A Ford. To us kids, the most important trips in the Model A were to Oakland City where we bought ice, wrapped it in braided rugs, tied it on the running board, and returned home to make ice cream. The sons had to walk the 8 miles each way to college in Oakland City but there was one buggy and one horse, Maude, for courting. Once established, James Monroe and Mary Elizabeth lived all their married life in the same house. They enjoyed fairly good health until 1-2 years before their deaths. In fact they celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary and Fig. 5 shows them on that occasion. At this time, they had 14 grandchildren, 26 great-grandchildren, and 2 great-great-grandchildren. James Monroe died on 12 Nov 1956 and Mary Elizabeth on 9 April 1957. Both are buried at Montgomery Cemetery, Oakland City, Gibson County, IN with many of their children and Mary Elizabeth's parents After their deaths, the homestead was sold outside the family. Soon the coal company bought it and, in 1976, everything was demolished. Only a catalpa grove, which served as their wood lot, remained. But it is still fresh in our memories. Please click for e-mail. Please click to go back to the main page.